Custom Reports

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 25 09:41:42 EST 2007

"Josh Sled" <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:

> On Wed, January 24, 2007 7:38 pm, David T. wrote:
>> a) The duplicate report problem (i.e., the fact that you can save the same
>> report more than once and cause GC to crash) was in process of being
>> fixed, and
>
> IIRC, in 2.0 gnucash will prevent you from renaming a report to the same
> name as an existing report.  (In the Future, the primary identifier for
> reports should be a unique URL (or GUID).)

I'm not sure how a GUID would work here..  As for a unique URL, that's
the same problem we have today...  If you want to save your personal
report setting into a "custom report" then you need to make sure you
supply a unique URL ;) Unless you're suggesting that we separate out
the menu label from the report identifier?  That might work, but it
would require a major restructuring of how reports are identified.

>> b) on a related note, whether there were any plans to implement some kind
>> of
>> API for the custom reports for the informal user, so that they could
>> delete
>> reports or modify them.
>
> Not really, at present.  I've heard that there's an ability to load custom
> reports from a user directory, but I don't see documentation of it.  That
> at least would let the user add new (or modifications of existing) reports
> without mucking with the installed tree.  I'd imagine future systems for
> handling reports would do a similar process of enumerating a set of known
> directories/locations for reports to register at runtime.

I think just doing something like this in ~/.gnucash/config.user
will do the trick in 2.0:

 (load-file "/path/to/my/personal/report.scm")

Note that this hasn't been tested.