enforce explicit double entry?

Adam Funk a24061 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 30 05:32:43 EST 2007

On 2007-01-29, Cam Ellison wrote:

> As a sort of work-around, I find that in some circumstances if I enter a
> value and then use the up-arrow, the residual will appear at the bottom
> of the split with no account selected (i.e. no orphan or imbalance).  I
> have not tried this with everything, but it does work if you duplicate
> an existing split entry - if you Tab or Enter or use the Down arrow, it
> creates an Imbalance account, if you use the Up arrow, there's no new
> account.

Usually that's what happens.  But sometimes --- and it isn't *only*
when using CR inside a split transaction (I've stopped doing that) ---
it creates an Orphan-* or Imbalance-* account, which I still have to
delete manually from the accounts tree even though I carefully
balanced the transaction and removed that account from it before
leaving the transaction.

I've added a comment to bug #402289 to say that I'd like the option of
prohibiting the creation of these accounts and just not being allowed
to leave an unbalanced transaction (i.e. I must *always* manually
balance it).