database integration

Dale Johannes tuxman67 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 31 19:48:55 EST 2007

Hi

My name is Dale Johannes and I have been using Gnucash for the last 3 to 4 years. I love the program and think the updates and improvements are great!

Just before the jump to the 2.0 version, I was very intrigued with integration with postgresql database.. I am new to database usage but I was learning about it through various Linux books and most importantly-- through the Gnucash.org website.

Now those links seem to have disapperaed or have become very well hidden.
I have very successfully compiled several of the latest versions of  Gnucash myself,  I am aware of enabling "the database option" but I need the steps that I once followed online to complete the migration.

I recall following some varios links /chat dialogs. I believe there  was some discussion about revamping the database features to the more popular mysql.
I would most like to here about the progress of database integration and what direction-- if any-- its going . Why??  As a volunteer, I use Gnucash to assist in maintaing financial records for a small private school.  I can see some clear benefits for our secretaries to create new accounts for new enrollies and record payments.  But they Do NOT need access to our entire finacial records.  Also as a future goal, I may be able to create a web resource, for enrollies to access their current account status. I belive database integration is the only way to acheive this.  So I would greatly appreciate any insights on the matter you may be able to offer me.

Thank you

Sincerely

Dale Johannes