Auto-Saving implemented in r16227 (to become 2.1.5) - Feedback wanted

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Tue Jul 3 05:49:53 EDT 2007

Quoting Beth Leonard <beth at oasis.slimy.com>:
> Does it save over your current working datafile? Or does it save a
> backup snapshot of the datafile that the next time you open gnucash
> after a crash gnucash will ask you if you want to open the backup or
> the real thing?

In that sense: Yes, it does indeed "save over the current working
datafile", say, foo.xac. But the old datafile will be kept around as a
time-stamped backup copy, say, foo.20070702121341.xac.

This fact is admittedly not at all obvious. Nevertheless the older
data does exist. However, from the time-stamped filenames you can't
tell which one was saved by pressing "save" and which one by the
current auto-save implementation.

> If gnucash had "undo" I could see having an autosave that is on by
> default as a good feature, but without undo, I'd much rather see it
> save a copy (like all those tmp files gnucash makes that don't
> include business features) instead of overwriting the current working
> file.  Right now the only chance a user has to undo things is to

Hm... the problem here is that this would require major changes in how
the file saving works, and also the program has to keep track not only
of the "book-dirty state" but additionally of the "book-manually-saved
state" (to distinguish whether the book has been auto-saved, or
manually saved, or both). From a programmer's point of view this is
hard.

The main reason for me to implement this so quickly was that I
discovered in the current way the implementation was surprisingly easy
from a programmer's point of view. What I'm saying is that if the
feature in the current form doesn't meet user's needs, we can very
well disable this again... sorry for that.

Christian