Help needed with split

Doug Laidlaw laidlaws at hotkey.net.au
Tue Jul 3 19:26:29 EDT 2007

On Wed, 4 Jul 2007 07:48:11 am Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting "John K. Taber" <jktaber at charter.net>:

> >> This is explained clearly in the docs.  but basically:
> >>
> >>   Sell     -500 31.64    -15820.00
> >>   Commission                 10.95
> >>   Fee                          .25
> >>   Bank                    15808.80
> >>
> >> And dont forget to account for your capital gains.  Again, see the docs.

> >> -derek
> >
> > Did you think I didn't read the docs?
>
> Honestly, yes, because this exact case is clearly stated in an example
> in the docs.
>
> > I read them, and did what you outlined. The results weren't what I
> > expect.
> >
> > Perhaps the accounts aren't set up right because they are imported from
> > Quicken QIF.
>
> That shouldn't matter.
>
> > The accounts are:
> > Fidelity Brokerage [type bank]
> >   XYX [type stock]
> >
> > In Fidelity Brokerage, I enter
> >  Sell  XYZ   -500 31.64    -15820.00
> >  etc.
>
> Can you show a screen shot of the "etc" here?
>
> > The full 15820 is showing in my brokerage cash balance, instead of
> > 15,808.80.
>
> That's because you put 15820 into the brokerage instead of 15808.80.
>
> > I tried using the XYZ account also, to no better effect.
> >
> > Depending on what I do, I get Orphaned USD, or Imbalance USD, or
> > Commissions: Fidelity Brokerage. With the last, I still get the wrong
> > amount of 15820 in the cash sweep.
>
> This just means you're not creating the full set of debits and credits.
>
> > John
>
> -derek

I don't want to butt in, but you haven't told us what the amount showing in
Orphan or Imbalance is.  What Derek is saying is that the amount will be
15820.00 less  15808.20, or $11.80.  That amount is already inthe Commission
and Fee, so in effect you are entering it twice.  The program didn't subtract
it; that is how a split works - you have to apportion it.

HTH,

Doug.

--
They change their climate, not their soul, who run beyond the sea.
   - Horace, Roman poet, 1st c. B.C.