Delays in transfers between accounts

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Jul 7 03:32:08 EDT 2007

Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> Banks get around the overdraft situation by posting credits before debits.
> Gnucash posts bank receipts (increase in asset=debit) before payments
> (credits.) so your books should never show a non-existent overdraft.

I have no idea what you are saying. Are you sure we are talking about
the same thing? I am not talking about debits and credits that happen on
the same day. I'm talking about debits and credits that happen 3 weeks
apart. If I enter a deposit for August 12 when the money was really
available on September 20 and I make a large payment on September 29
GnuCash will indeed show an overdraft that was never there.

> In any
> event, what matters is the state of your books and the bank balance at the
> end of any working day.

And those will be wrong. The balance at the end of many working days
will be wrong.

> When I was a lawyer, I had to do that every month for my trust account, and
> keep the bank reconciliations to show my auditor.

And you don't think that this is more hassle than my solution?

> If you do it your way, you will have trouble if your books ever have to be
> audited.

These are my personal finances. Nobody is going to audit my GnuCash.

Daniel.