Importing OFX/QFX file for placeholder account with multiple sub-accounts

keith keith at bellairs.org
Wed Jul 11 19:05:59 EDT 2007

Iain,

Are you missing the double-entry bookkeeping model that gnucash uses?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-entry_book-keeping )
Your various categories of expenses are not subaccounts of your
checking. They are "expense" accounts. When you record a check in
gnucash you show the checking account that the funds came from and a
separate account for the expense (phone bill, etc.) that is being paid.

The QIF and QFX/OFX importers learn (pretty well) after a while that a
check to Rogers Cable goes against my account for cable expenses. So a
transaction is generated during the import to "credit" checking and
"debit" cable. There are some rough spots, but it works.

So after a while my checking account shows my current balance and my
various expenses are each in an appropriate bucket (account). My
savings/income work the same way, except that I debit checking and
credit income.

Sorry if I am missing the point, but double-entry is key to using
gnucash and to good accounting practices.

Keith