Introduction -- New to GnuCash (no problems yet)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Fri Jul 20 07:49:36 EDT 2007

I am the Treasurer (and bookkeeper) of a 501(c)3 non-profit.

A house fire last November cost us the computer and the QuickBooks Pro
"Non-Profit" software which we have not yet replaced (not as crazy as it
sounds doing the books the old fashioned way "by hand" since we don't
have >200 transactions/year). While our insurance would pay to replace
the QuickBooks, even with the newest version, I have always been a
little pissed at the cheat (NOW, with the 2007 version there actually is
SOMETHING in there related to "non-profits" -- but hell, our 2004
version didn't even recognize the name category "donor" to say nothing
of the special reports a 501(c)3 needs to be able to generate).

So now that GnuCash is available for 'doz I am beginning an evaluation
to see if "ready for the real world" at least as far as standard
accounting goes. While I might be comfortable in most OSs, could not in
all conscience recommend software that would restrict who could run for
what office. It will take me at least a few weeks to set up and
duplicate 2007 so far, then I'll parallel the rest of the year. So until
I run into problems, I'll just be "lurking" on the list. But two things.

a) If any of you are using GnuCash for "organizational" accounting
(especially for "non-profits) I wouldn't mind hearing from you about
experiences, pitfalls to watch out for, etc.

b) I'm not your average "end user". I am a very senior systems analyst
with a few decades experience designing/writing/debugging software for
one of the world's largest "financials". Mostly retired nowadays (they
still sometimes call me to re-enter the "cypher mines" and if the
project is interesting and the offer tempting... well I've been back in
three times so far). The point here is that if I encounter some bug or
similar problem I would like to be able to do more than just report it.
   Any developers monitoring on this list?
   If so, when/if I report a problem, I'd like somebody to point me to
the right subsystem so I can look at the source and determine what is
causing the problem and what coding changes are needed. In other words,
if I am going to use your software you have a reasonable right to expect
my professional expertise to be donated to the cause. I can probably
"read" most anything, and once you have learned to become fluent writing
in half a dozen languages, pretty quick to add another to the list.
   If I decide that GnuCash will do but is missing some features needed
for non-profits, custom reports, etc. I expect to be recruited to do
that work. But that's for later. Right now I am just checking that
GnuCash can do for us pretty much what we were able to do using
QuickBooks Pro NonProfit 2004. Not asking any more from it at the moment.

Michael D Novack, FLMI

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.