Introduction -- New to GnuCash (no problems yet)

Dale Alspach alspach at math.okstate.edu
Fri Jul 20 10:27:24 EDT 2007

I actually used gnucash for about 6 months for just such a purpose. This
was a few years ago so gnucash was only on linux and gnucash has improved.
To me the biggest issue was reports. While QuickBooks has some
annoyances, it has a large numbers of reports built-in and it is fairly
easy to build useful custom reports which can be printed or transferred to
excel (with some loss). I have always found gnucash reporting capabilities
to be deficient. The settings to me are non-intuitive. I did not try to
delve into scheme and create my own reports.

This weakness combined with a number of issues connected to the
organization, the parent organization, and the fact that in the future I
was not going to be the only one using the software, made QuickBooks Pro the
right choice.

I use gnucash for my personal accounting. I like the transparency but I do
not use the business features which from comments on this list seem to be
less transparent. QuickBooks Pro tries to automate a lot of things and this
means it has predefined choices about how things are done. In many cases
you do not see the other entry of transaction. Sometimes this
makes it difficult to track down an incorrect transaction and reverse it
and its side effects. I also don't like the basic account view in
QuickBooks Pro. I find some practices of Intuit to be less than
customer friendly. Going with an Intuit product is definitely caveat
emptor.

Dale Alspach