OFX import not matching previous selections

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jul 20 12:49:19 EDT 2007

Don Coleman <don at coleman.org> writes:

> Is there anyplace where the bayesian matching system as it functions
> in gnucash is described, from the perspective of a naive user?

Not really.

> Every month I have 6 deposits to the same account, where most have
> unique amount fields, and those that don't, have unique Description
> fields.

Define "Unique Description field" in this context..

> 1) recent accepted auto matches or manual choices should be weighted
> much stronger than past ones, and it should take a couple manual
> overrides before it stops suggesting old matches.

Nope, there's no timeframe in the weighting, so recent matches are not
weighted any more than previous ones.

> 2) both the Description and the Deposit/Withdrawal amounts should be
> used in the match algorithm.

Nope, only the description and memo (text) is used.

> Is this not how it basically works?

Well, BASICALLY, yes.  It tokenizes the Desc and Memo and matches
based on the tokens.

> Is there a mechanism for manually tweaking it?

Nope.

> Can I look DB the contains the rules and/or the matches and their
> weightings?

It's just XML; go ahead.

> Is there a way I can reset it, so at least I know I'm starting from scratch?

Not without manually extracting the data from your XML.

> Given the regularity of the deposits I get, I'd be perfectly happy
> setting up matching rules manually, though I guess there is no way to
> do that...

Nope.  But the bayesian style matcher should do it correctly
after your first correct match.