Next questions (fuller information)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Jul 23 13:44:32 EDT 2007

Derek Atkins wrote:

> Are you sure that gconfd is running?
> Does it have access to your homedir storage area?

I presume you meant C:\Documents and Settings\Mike & Penny\ instead of
/home/Mike & Penny
   (the question was about running under XP)

OK --- in there is a directory named .gconfd which contains just a file
named saved_state (and that file is empty)

I  do not know about any independent task named gconfd running when I am
running Gnu Cash. I suppose that I could check for that the next time I
see one of those "settings" dialogs open and/or am trying to change
preferences.

BUT -- you have also given me something useful to try. Keep in mind that
the "account" file isn't in that directory but in a subdirectory of a
subdirectory etc.
1) I can see that GnuCash is (correctly) putting the backups and logs
into that directory (the one where the "books" file is.
2) Perhaps most users would have allowed the new accounts to have been
created in the default location -- which would be the same directory as
that .gconfd directory lives in.

While waiting for other opinions maybe a few things I can try here like
a copy of that .gconfd directory in the same directory as the books
(can't hurt anything).

At least now I probably know the name of the file where this data is
supposed to be saved.

Michael