Next questions (fuller information)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Mon Jul 23 19:48:37 EDT 2007

Josh Sled wrote:

>Bastiaan Veelo <Bastiaan.N.Veelo at ntnu.no> writes:
>

>>I have not been following this thread, but gconf is to the Gnome desktop
>>what the registry is to MS Windows. Gconf does not run on Windows.
>>

>That's incorrect, as is the implication that we use the Windows registry.
>We use gconf on Windows in the same way as on 'nix or OS X.

I assumed that. Nobody sane has been writing programs that modify the
programs to change behavior for decades. In other words, I assumed that
the app (in changing setting and preferences) was going to be storing
that as data (which the app would then read and act accordingly).

OK --- I can see a directory ( named .gconf)  presumably used for that
purpose and a suggestively named file saved_state in it. But that file
is empty, apparently nothing saved there. For all I know there is a
called subtask ALSO named gconf which gets called when you change
settings and preferences to do the work (store the change) but about
that I know nothing.

And probably couldn't look without guidance. In spite of the fact that I
am running this under XP not really an XP person. Not really "up" on ANY
operating system for PCs though I have a reasonable idea how the typical
'nix works and am reasonably at home in the bash shell (the operating
system I have worked in most is (in it's current incarnation) MVS-XA
though I go back to late MVT days -- thank the gods not all the way back
to MFT -- and if you don't recognize these 'cause it's IMB mainframe
OS). Really an "applications" person anyway.

OK --- before going any farther probably best to confirm something (to
rule possible causes out).

Anybody out there using the new July 14th 2.2.0 stable under Windows XP?
You are able to save changes to settings and preferences? (for example,
you aren't still stuck coming up with the "welcome" dialog). If somebody
says "yes", then we know nothing wrong with the release itself. If you
say yes, include information about how you installed (under what sort of
log in) and how you run (under what sort of log in --- I ask because all
to many users of XP don't bother with the added security of doing
ordinary work logged in WITHOUT administrator privileges).

After all, only been a few days so POSSIBLY I'm the first person to be
reporting "having a problem" (especially if there are very few people
trying to run this new baby under Windows)

Michael

PS -- OTHERWISE the evaluation is going quite well. I have a parallel of
the paper books up to current and everything checks out. While the
reports aren't exactly what I would want, export as HTML worked fine and
so even if customization proves too difficult, the desired report
formats could be produced by combining and editing the HTML files with
an HTML editor. No "show stoppers" so far.