Trial balance report out of balance

Paul Schwartz pmjs1115 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 15:46:00 EDT 2007

----- Original Message ----
From: Tom Roeschen <tomroeschen at sbcglobal.net>
To: gnucash-user at gnucash.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 24, 2007 12:58:02 PM
Subject: Re: Trial balance report out of balance

> I am using GnuCash version 2.0.5 on SUSE 10.2.  My trial balance for the
> month of January is in balance. When I print it for the month of February
> it
> is out of balance.  What steps should I take to find out why this is
> happening?

Binary-search the month of Feb to find the day when it goes out of
balance and then look for transactions on that day (+/- 1 day).  most
likely it's a change-of-commodity (e.g. a sale of stock) without the
corresponding gain/loss.

-derek

How do I perform a binary search?

I think he just means to hit the middle of the date range where the suspect transaction may lie for each search.

Paul