Trial balance failure after stock split

Tom Roeschen tomroeschen at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 26 17:59:23 EDT 2007

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:09:25 pm Fred Bone wrote:
> I'm probably doing something wrong, but cannot see what. I used the
> "Stock Split Druid" to record a consolidation, and it resulted in a
> mismatch when I do a Trial balance.
>
> Using v2.1.3 for Windows.
>
> I started with 731 shares bought for 487.80.
>
> The company did a "Share Consolidation", one for three with a cash
> distribution of 146.60 (this was via an issue-and-redemption of "B"
> shares, but that's a technicality). I ended up with 244 shares.
>
> In the Druid, I entered:
>  (Stock Split Details)  Shares:  244-731
>  (Cash In Lieu)         Amount:  146.20
> chose suitable accounts for the cash-in-lieu and left everything else
> alone.
>
> The transaction shows in the stock register as
>  Num     Description                    Tot Shares   Tot Buy   Tot Sell
>          Stock Split                          -487                  487
>  Split                  Assets:<>:PON         -487
>          Cash In Lieu   Assets:<>:Cash                146.20
>          Cash In Lieu   Income:<>:PON                            146.20
>
> The net result in Trial Balance is that the value shown against the
> relevant stock has reduced from 487.80 to 97.72, with the two other
> accounts each increasing by the expected 146.20, for a net discrepancy in
> the final totals of 487.80-97.72=390.08.
>
> Everything else (that I've thought to check) looks correct.
>
> What should I have done differently?
>
> Where does it get that 97.72 figure from???

Are you saying that you bought a bundle of 731 shares for $487.80?  So the
cost of each share was $487.80/731 or 66.73 cents a share.  You disposed of
487 shares and received $146.20, so the cost of the 244 shares you now hold
was (notionally) 487*$0.6673 less cash $146.20 = $178.77, or 73.2 cents a
share.  To my thinking, that should be the value of the stock.

The cash in lieu went to Cash and Income;  it won't affect the value of the
shares if you did it that way.  In my calculation, it is debited to Cash
(Increase) and credited to PON (asset reduced.)

More than that, I can't say.  I don't buy and sell shares, and have no
experience of Gnucash's druid.

Gnucash won't leave the books unbalanced.  The $390.08 will have to have a
matching entry, even if it is in Capital or another Equity account.

HTH,

Doug.

--

> Firstly, I can't find a way to make the sub-account totals appear next to
> the parent account. Am I missing something?

The "Level of Subaccounts" control in Report Options - Accounts tab?

[Sorry, can't answer the other question you had]

I am having similar issues with the trial balance report.  I've read all the
posts and it doesn't
seem like anybody has any definitive answers or solutions.  Is this a
problem with the Trial
Balance Report or with the GnuCash Code?  If this is a bug has it been
reported to Bugzilla?
and if so is anyone currently working on it?

Tom Roeschen