need help setting up transactions for sale of house

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Sun Jul 29 11:21:36 EDT 2007

J E wrote:
> I am trying to set up the accounting for the sale of a house
> in GnuCash.  I have already received the payment in my checking
> account, but I want to account for commisions/fees and also show
> the capital gain in a split transaction, but am unsure of how to
> do this.
>
> The numbers are:
> Checking acct. Deposit: $375000
> Sold (2007):            $400000
> Bought (1987):          $150000
This ^^^^^ is your problem.  Get rid of it.

> Commissions/fees:       $ 25000
> Net capital gain:       $225000
>
> I have tried doing a split transaction, but always wind up with
> an Orphan-USD, and totally confused.
>
> I have tried setting up:
>
> Assets:Fixed:House:Cost        $150000 (Equity:Opening Balances)

I would do it this way, starting with the entry above, then two separate
transactions:

Appreciation       Assets:Fixed:Home:Appreciation 250.000
                    Equity:Opening Balances       (250,000)

Sale               Assets: Fixed:Home            (400,000)
                    Assets:Current:Chequing        375,000
                    Expenses:Commissions/Fees       25.000

The actual gain should be shown, and that's the Appreciation entry.
Assets:Fixed:Home will show a total of 400.000.  The sale price of the
house then appears in that account, zeroing it.  For tax purposes, I
think you need to show the actual appreciation, and any related expenses
should have their own entry.

HTH

Cam

--