need help setting up transactions for sale of house

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Sun Jul 29 11:15:15 EDT 2007

No, he does need bought to clear out his asset:fixed:house:cost
account.  He doesn't need Sold since it is made up of Bought + Capital Gain.

DB             CR
Assets:Current Assets:Bank                 375000
Assets:Fixed:House:Cost                                        150000
Expenses:Commission                           25000
Income:Capital Gain                                              250000

I think this is correct.  Capital Gain = Sold - Bought.  The commission
is a cost of the transaction.