GnuCash 2.2.0 under Windows (problems -- much more information)

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Jul 31 14:04:20 EDT 2007

Thanks to Vahur describing exactly what he was running.

While I had done some minimal testing while logged in as administrator I
had not set up a FULL parallel to the user environment. I went back and
retested after first copying over (to the admin data area) a directory
containing a valid set of books. Under these conditions I had no
difficulty using "edit preferences" to do things like turning off "tips
of the day", turning off the "splash screen" so open directly in that
set of books, changing the period for "autosave", etc. Went back into my
user login and tried the same things, no dice.

I have not verified yet if this is a permissions problem per se (what
happens if I temporarily give the user "admin" privilege) -- it could
also be a consequence of the user not having "admin" rights the first
time gnucash was opened (perhaps some directories/files were never
created). I have to experiment, can't just look, as I am not really a
"Windows person".

It is from my perspective a serious problem (not greatly affecting my
PERSONAL use -- but could I report "ready" for running under Windows?).
It also explains WHY possibly not previously reported. An extremely high
percentage of home XP users consider that because they are the only user
on the computer, why not be with "admin" rights all the time. Entirely
possible that no beta testing was done under XP without "admin" rights
(and as already noted, this might be a situation where if the first time
was with "admin" rights, could then subsequently use the app as "user"
without problems.

Michael

PS:  I'll soon be busy for a few days and so may not be able to report
on some of these further tests till next week. Since I already used
gnucash in my (our) user login, I'll need to set up a temporary "test"
user on the system to check on the "first time" possibilities.

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.