how to setup a revolving credit facility account

Cam Ellison cam at ellisonpsychology.ca
Sun Jun 3 23:39:36 EDT 2007

David Latham wrote:
> Thanks Robert,
>
> It looks like this might be the best way to go about it.  I still find
> it unfortunate that there is no way to record the available credit
> because: It is in fact an asset.

I beg to differ.  It is not cash you actually possess, nor a certificate
invested with some kind of value.  If you take money from it and put it
into another account, that money is an asset, with an offsetting
liability that costs you in interest.

> The bank treat this available credit
> as equity.
Of course it does.  That works for its marketing, and in fact any money
that you borrow from it is an asset from its perspective; a receivable,
in fact.  It really should not matter to you how the bank wants to think
about it.  The simple fact is that you have a certain amount of
headroom, which a quick mental calculation will give you.  You could
include the amount in the Description field as a reminder.

> I guess there is not really a perfect way to handle this in GNU CASH.  I
> would like to be able to create a split account.

The issue, as I see it, has nothing to do with Gnucash.  Double entry
bookkeeping, one of the foundations of modern business practice, not to
mention the Industrial Revolution and the rise of Capitalism, if I may
be so bold, is what stands in your way.

> Show a portion in
> Liabilities and the balance in Assets.  The combined value is the the
> total reducing amount...

You still have to do some kind of calculation, likely in your head.

I wonder whether you should re-think what is important to you, i.e. what
information do you need to have, and what will having that information
do for you?

Happy cogitating

Cam

--