Printing account transactions

Adam Funk a24061 at ducksburg.com
Wed Jun 6 14:47:20 EDT 2007

On 2007-04-30, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Nope, that's neither a bug nor a poorly named report.  There's the
> "Transaction Report", "Account Report", and "Account Transaction Report".
> Each of these are DIFFERENT reports and do different things.
> The first one is available off the main menu from the CoA or Report
> windows and is the flexible transaction report.
>
> The Account Transaction Report is only available from a Register, and
> it displays a single transaction, which lets you print out a single
> transaction.  It will print the currently selected transaction.  If
> you want to change the transaction, go back to the Register and select
> something else.
>
> The Account Report, also only available from a Register, allows you to
> print the contents of the register (all the transactions).  If you want
> to change the date-range or the set of transactions printed in the report
> then you need to go back to the Register, adjust the register, and then
> re-run the report.

I don't like to complain because GnuCash does a lot of great things,
but I agree with those who say that these reports are confusingly
named.

The Account Report is really a register report and (for me) is useful
mainly for printing out search results than a whole account.  (And it
took me a while to figure out that this was the way to print search
results.  Maybe I looked through the documentation obtusely, but I
think it should be easier to find that tip.)  Maybe "Register Report"?

I think the Account Transaction report would be better named "Single
Transaction Report", and the Transaction Report something that
indicates that it's a general dump over a selected period.