Reversing invoice

Blair Lowe gnucash at zedemail.ca
Wed Jun 6 18:09:59 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-06-06 at 13:17 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Blair Lowe <gnucash at zedemail.ca>:
>
> > How do we reverse or delete an invoice:
> >
> > Situation:
> > 1. before current fiscal year start an invoice is made up.
> >
> > 2. customer cancels service in the following fiscal year, and we want to
> > reverse the previous invoice.
> >
> > 3. We used to create an invoice number with a "D" at the end, and post a
> > negative amount in version 1.x.
>
> Um, even 1.x shouldn't have supported this!
>
> > This is no longer possible in version 2.0.5. you cannot post a negative
> > invoice, and we do not want to touch items in the previous fiscal year.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to do this?
>
> At this time, unfortunately no.  The 'best' way to do it would be to
> "process payment" to credit the amount returned.  Then after the
> transaction is made you can redirect the transaction to the appropriate
> "income" or "equity" account as necessary.
>
> > Thanks in Advance,
> > Blair.

Good idea, except then Revenue Canada sees this as revenue, and charges
us the GST (tax) on it.

We need to completely remove it from accountsreceivable. Perhaps we will
have to do this directly with a journal type entry (yuk).

This sort of thing happens every month as a person decides not to renew
their domain name for whatever the reason.