Live Budget Calculations?

dniezby at comcast.net dniezby at comcast.net
Wed Jun 20 19:35:00 EDT 2007

I'm new to GnuCash and I have to say that I love it.
I am tired of paying for programs like Quicken or Money and have been so pleased to find GnuCash. I am a huge supporter of open-source and for the most part, the ONLY software I have in my computer that's "commercial" is the operating system.  Everything else, I've found OS versions of...Well, almost ever thing.

I've learned how to do almost everything I need and more with this software there is only one thing that baffles me.

Is there a way to have the budget calculated live? Something that tells me that I've budgeted more out than in?

In the aforementioned programs, when you enter in your income and outflows there is a running tally of your available funds.  This allows the user to know that, when they've budgeted 3000 a month for income and budgeted 4000 in expenses that there needs to be some adjustments.

As far as I can tell, there is no way to tell if you've over or under-budgeted without actually going through and calculating the amounts. The estimated is cool, but that only works if you already have data in the accounts.