Trial balance failed!

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Thu Jun 21 16:59:03 EDT 2007

On 20 Jun 2007 at 20:08, Daniel said:

> Oh, here is another thought: I deal with more than one currency. Could
> that be the problem? This this what I'm thinking:
>
> 1) On day one I have the assets:
>     USD Bank account:  $2000
>     CAD Bank account:  $2000
> 2) I transfer $1000 USD to Canada at a rate of $1 US = $1.30 CAD.
>     USD Bank account:  $1000
>     CAD Bank account:  $3300
> 3) The Canadian dollar appreciates to $1 US = $1.10 CAD. If I calculate my
> total assets in USD, some money will have vanished. If I calculate my
> total assets in CAD, some money will have appeared out of nowhere.
>
> If I have income and expenses in more than one currency, I guess
> currency fluctuations could ruin the trial balance.
>
> Do you think this might be the problem?

It might, but based on my experiments I don't think it is.

Here's what I tried:

1. Create new file: minimal structure (just accept defaults).
2. Credit Assets:Cash:Cash in Wallet with GBP1000 from Equity:Opening
Balances
3. Create account Assets:Cash:Cash in Wallet:Euro
4. Credit the EUR account with EUR200 from the GBP account, accepting the
default exchange rate of GBP1=EUR1.515152; this showed as GBP132 there
5. Trial Balance shows (omitting blank entries)
  Cash in Wallet    £868
  Euros             £132
  Opening Balances          £1000
                   £1000    £1000
So far so good.

6. In Price Editor, update the rate to EUR1=GBP0.7
7. Refresh Trial Balance:
  Cash in Wallet    £868
  Euros             £140
  Opening Balances          £1000
                   £1008    £1008
and there's also a line "Unrealized Gains" with nothing against it.
Note that the Credit column (on the right) doesn't add up.

8. In Price Editor, update the rate to EUR1=GBP0.5
9. Refresh Trial Balance:
  Cash in Wallet    £868
  Euro              £100
  Opening Balance           £1000
  Unrealized Gains   £32
                   £1000    £1000
Now the columns add up.
They still balance though, whether the exchange rate goes up or down. In
the "up" situation, I think it's just omitted £8 in the "Credit" column
for "Unrealized Gains".

Do you have any Stock accounts in which you have done a negative Stock
Split? This was the problem I reported a couple of days ago. I have now
reproduced it in a two-transaction scenario (buy some stock, do a
negative split; result: trial balance failure).

Clearly the Trial Balance report code has bugs. I'm not in a position to
find them, much less fix them.