Problem Creating Stock Account

Fred Bone Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com
Mon Jun 25 11:47:42 EDT 2007

On 25 Jun 2007 at 11:32, Derek Atkins said:

> "Fred Bone" <Fred.Bone at dial.pipex.com> writes:
>
> >> What am I doing wrong?
> >
> > You're not - it is. Either it should be possible to select a "Currency"
> > for a placeholder Stock account - in which case it should let you do so -
> > or it should not - in which case the Druid's setup file is wrong.
>
> Nope, gnucash is doing it right, exactly how it's supposed to work.  A
> stock account indeed requires a non-currency commodity.  This is not a
> bug.  If you want to have a parent account then don't make it of type
> Stock.  Make it type Asset (or, as you suggest, type Bank).

So the Druid *is* getting it wrong, as I suggested.

The account structure the Druid creates if you select "Investment
Accounts" is
 Assets
 ..Investments
 ....Brokerage Account
 ......Bond
 ......Market Index
 ......Mutual Fund
 ......Stock
and both the "Bond" and "Stock" accounts are of type "Stock" and are
denominated in the selected Currency.