Failure to Balance

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 26 01:37:40 EDT 2007

This thread is old, but I thought you all would like to know that I finally
found out what was causing my trouble (hint: it wasn't Gnucash!). It seems that
on several multi-split transactions in 2006 (paychecks with 12 different lines
on them) which had been imported from a Quicken QIF file, two lines got put
into the ledger twice--once in the original transaction, and once as a
free-standing transaction. The original transaction in Quicken was reconciled,
so both of these got reconciled flags on import. Because the transactions were
to retirement accounts that I don't reconcile very often, I never noticed the
extra cash sitting in the parent cash account. I was reconciling these accounts
yesterday, and found those extra entries, which cleared up the discrepancy.

For that person asking recently about whether to reconcile: I'd say you should!

Cheers, and thanks for all the suggestions back then!
David