Accounting Equation

Daniel daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Sat Jun 30 03:31:57 EDT 2007

Hello,

Welcome to GnuCash.

> I don't have any credentials and my arithmetic is terrible,
> but it seems to me like the documentation's development
> of the accounting equation is completely wrong.

The documentation is correct and I will be happy to explain. What you
wrote is a _very_ common confusion and it _is_ confusing. The problem is
that in one equation Equity means "Equity Today" and the in the other it
means "Equity on Day 1" - _very_ confusing.

So let's try to figure this out:

You already know the basic equation:

Equity = Assets - Liabilities

This equation is always true. The _Definition_ of Equity is "take your
assets and subtract your expenses". Someone just looked at his net worth
one day and said "I'll call this Equity".

I'll rewrite that equation using more clear terms:

Equity_Today = Assets_Today - Liabilities_Today

Now, your Equity_Today is the same as your Equity on Day 1 plus all your
income, minus all your expenses. Makes sense? Stuff coming in makes you
richer, stuff going out makes you poorer.

Equity_Today = Equity_on_Day_1 + Income - Expenses

Day 1 is just the day you started keeping of your income and expenses.

Now, combine the two formulas and we get:

Equity_on_Day_1 + Income - Expenses = Assets_Today - Liabilities_Today

And _that_ is the accounting equation that you see in the documentation.
The reason why this matters is that you are going to create an account
in GnuCash called Equity, and it is going to have your equity on day 1.
If you prefer, you could rename this account "Equity on Day 1". That
might help you remember what it really contains.

If you ever ask yourself, "what's my equity today?" don't look at the
"Equity" account. Just subtract your liabilities from your assets. The
number in the Equity account tells you what your equity _was_ the day
you began keeping track of your money.

I hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Daniel.