Python report-writing mechanism?

Tom Purl tom at tompurl.com
Tue Mar 6 20:12:38 EST 2007

On Tue, March 6, 2007 5:51 pm, Michael B. Trausch wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 17:48 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Quoting "Michael B. Trausch" <fd0man at gmail.com>:
>> >    (And, are there any plans to perhaps permit
>> > GnuCash to interface with Python that anyone knows of?)
>>
>> No.  Well, there was a PyGnuCash project, but it was completely
>> external to us.

Check out this link:

* http://www.parit.ca/projects/pythongnucash

This Python binding doesn't interface with the GnuCash reporting API per
se, but you could use this binding to generate your own reports.  Check
out this mailing list thread:

* http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-devel/2007-January/019655.html

> Is there any reason that Scheme is used?  It would seem (and I could be
> wrong) that LISP in general is moribund... or is it used
> behind-the-scenes more often than is generally known?

Well, Scheme is used by tons of CS people, and there are dozens of
variants.  Also, there is a large and thriving community around the
Common Lisp variant of Lisp.  You can read more about it here:

* http://planet.lisp.org/

I've asked this list this question before, and I guess the short answer
is that it was the best language to use for this purpose at the time,
and it still serves its purpose well.

HTH!

Tom Purl