Failure to Balance

Wouter van Marle wouter at squirrel-systems.com
Wed Mar 7 10:37:43 EST 2007

On 7 Mar 07, at 22:31, Michael B. Trausch wrote:

>    though, at least in my case, was the first of two transactions made
> in a
>    foreign currency.  GC somehow figured on making the exchange rate
> 1:1 for
>    USD:GBP when I created my first GBP account, and when I paid it off
> with a
>    proper exchange rate was when the imbalance was created.

If the first had been a proper exchange rate as well, your transactions
wouldn't have balanced anyway as it is very unlikely that both exchange
rates were exactly the same. In your case the difference was just quite
large.

For that case you'll need a capital gain/loss balancing transaction or
so. See manual or older messages about that; I can't remember how it
goes exactly.

Wouter.