Setting up Student Loan and Debts

Micah Carrick email at micahcarrick.com
Sat Mar 10 15:23:57 EST 2007

Hey, I'm pretty new to all of this stuff. I've read through the docs and
am still slightly confused about adding in my student loan as it's not
an asset.

I got federal consolidation loans on Oct. 5, 2006 which started with a
principle balance of $14,466.47. So, I created the following:

Expenses
- Education
- Interest
  - Federal Consolidation Loan Interest
Liabilities
- Loans
  - Federal Consolidation Loan

And now I'm trying to figure out how this part works. I *think* I should
create a transaction in the Federal Consolidation Loan account dated
10-05-2006, transfer from Expenses:Education for the amount of
$14,466.47 as a "Decrease" which would result in a negative balance both
there and in Expenses:Education. Is that correct?

And another question... I have several outstanding debts (mostly turned
over to collection agencies) that I would like to keep track of. Should
those be liability with maybe another Expense account for "Debt" or
something? And if I settle with a collection agency-- how do I handle
that change it balance?

Any help is appreciated. Cheers!

--
- Micah Carrick