Compressed file for Windows port

Davide Imbeni davide.imbeni at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 10:27:33 EDT 2007

>From http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows :

Reading/writing compressed files

The current win32 SVN code doesn't read or write compressed (gzip'd) files.
On Linux, gnucash forks gzip as a child process and pipes the file through
it. On windows, there isn't an easy replacement for fork() and pipe(). See
src/backend/file/io-gncxml-v2.c:1246 ff.

As a consequence, a linux-stored data file which, by default, is stored in
compressed form cannot be read by the Windows version at the moment. If you
want to use the linux datafile, you need to switch off file compression
beforehand by unticking the option "Compress Files" under
Edit->Preferences->General->Files. Or 'mv datafile datafile.gz && gunzip
datafile.gz #providing a .gz suffix, and finally unzipping it'

BR

Davide