New specification for Canadian cheques

David Hampton gnucash at love2code.net
Sat Mar 24 20:50:10 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-27 at 10:08 -0500, David Hampton wrote:

> My thought was to have the check layout specified in an xml file, and
> have a directory that gnucash scanned to learn all the check formats.
> Adding a new check format would be as simple as dropping a new xml file
> into this directory.  I was planning to add support for arbitrary
> graphics (logo, signature, etc) to be printed on checks.  There's no
> reason I can't extend this to arbitrary fixed text.

The new check printing code has been committed to trunk.  The only
difference from the above paragraph is tat a key/value (.ini style) file
was used instead of an XML file.  This code will not be back-ported to
the 2.0.x series, but will be in the 2.2 release.

> Given that this new law affects all Canadian users, I'll probably end up
> extending gnucash to automatically add the format information for any
> date field that only uses numbers.

I added a new preference for the check printing code that instructs it
to print the data format immediately below the date in 8 point type.
This works on systems running gtk 2.12 or later (its based on the newer
printing code in gtk 2.12).

David