First reconcilation looks odd

Stephen Torri storri at torri.org
Fri Mar 30 18:55:28 EDT 2007

I ran into trouble last time with my bucket type accounting using
subaccounts for holding money to be spent on certain expenses. So I
decided to restart a new gnucash file for the new year to try again
since my reconciliation was screwed up. I put my present checking
balance in to the account for my checking and then started to open
subaccounts. When I did a started each subaccount I made the checking
account its parent and did a "select transfer account" from where the
money for the opening balance. I choose the parent checking account
which had the full balance.

For example:

Parent checking
     |--- Rent

When go to reconcile the Parent checking with the latest bank statement
I am having trouble. Our starting balances match but the reconcile
process is not adding correctly.

The opening balance for the parent checking account is shown as income.
When I go to select the "Opening balance" line for rent I see its both
in the "Funds In" and "Funds Out". That is fine but when its selected in
the "Funds In" side is not selected on the "Funds Out" side. Since its a
internal transfer in the books the net effect on the reconciliation
should be zero. The same problem is found for when I am internally
transferring funds from the parent checking account to each of the
buckets when a paycheck arrives.

I hope that I have been clear on what is going wrong. I have had
finished the reconciliation in case I need to change things. Please tell
me how to get the account to properly reconcile so gnucash is setup
ready for the next month.

Stephen