strange behaviour in stock buy transaction

Hale Boyes, Kevin Kevin.HaleBoyes at encana.com
Thu May 3 14:01:09 EDT 2007

I've been learning more about tracking stock purchases and sales
in GnuCash and have found something I don't understand.

First some setup:
    - start GC with --nofile and then create a new file.
    - choose CAD for currency.
    - choose Common + Investment accounts with no opening balances.
    - create new accounts under "Brokerage Account"
        - type Cash named Cash.
        - type Stock named SUNW (for which I created a new commodity
            with fraction 1/100 on the NASDAQ.
    - move $1000 into "Checking Account" from Equity:Opening Balances.

When I buy stock I tend to transfer money from my chequing account into
my brokerage account.  Then I buy the stock.  The end price may not use
up the full amount of cash that I transfered but that is fine as I run
a positive cash balance in my brokerage account.

So, I transfered $400 from chequing to the new cash account under
"Brokerage Account" -- Assets:Investments:Brokerage Account:Cash.
Now the balance shown in that ledger is $400.

Then I buy some shares of SUNW.  So, in the SUNW ledger I enter a
buy with the offset account being Assets:Investments:Brokerage
Account:Cash
and everything looks fine until I look back into the cash account.
The buy transaction is displayed but the amount fields are blank and
the balance has not been adjusted and still displays $400.

I expect the balance to have been adjusted for the money I just used
to buy the stock but maybe there is something that I'm missing.

I've included a couple of screen shots.
This is happening with 2.0.5 and trunk on FC6.

Thanks,
Kevin.

P.S.  Sorry for the following disclaimer but I have no control over it.

This email communication and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and or proprietary information and is provided for the use of the intended recipient only. Any review, retransmission or dissemination of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you receive this email in error, please contact the sender and delete this communication and any copies immediately. Thank you.
http://www.encana.com