Calculating Profit from Stock Sale

Joshua moorevineyard at hotmail.com
Fri May 4 16:02:37 EDT 2007

Hopefully I'm not messing something up.  I tried to post this a while ago but
it doesn't look like it worked.  Anyway...

In the documentation for buying and selling stock, it says that you need to
record profit or loss from the sale of stock in the income account for that
stock.  So, if you make regular monthly purchases of a stock or fund over the
course of several years, and you periodically sell some shares of a stock or
fund in order to buy new cars and houses, or pay for fund fees, etc., how do
you determine the profit from those sales?

The documentation doesn't clearly describe this situation with it's buy and
sell examples because they only include a single purchase or sale.

Does anyone know how to handle this?