Repeating Invoices

Kevin Buckley kevin.m.buckley at gmail.com
Fri May 4 16:44:51 EDT 2007

I am guessing that this question will either highlight a major
misunderstanding in either GnuCash or general accounting
practice, or possibly both, but anyway.

I have been experimenting with a set of business accounts
created by default by GnuCash (2.0.1).

I created a couple of invoices and experimented with paying
them off within the Accounts Receivable account: all seems fine.

I then tried and "suceeded" to turn an invoice into a scheduled
transaction and was pleased to see the promt for the new
invoice when re-starting up GnuCash.

Now the problem - I can't seem to edit the new Invoice, indeed,
I cant actually see the Invoice to UnPost it when using the
Business->Find Invoice... dialog - it just doen't seem to be there
other than in the account window as a uneditable transaction.

Being the inquisitive type, I've also tried duplicating an Invoice
from within the account (Accounts Receivable type) window and
see the same pattern unfold: the new invoice isn't seemingly
considered as an invoice by GnuCash so one can't edit it, nor get
at it to UnPost it or to make it Paid.

Oh yeah, the "new Invoices" doesn't appear in the Lots dialog either.

Hopefully I have missed something but ...

Is the only way to get a Invoice to recurr or to duplicate to
actually fill the new one in manually:
at present ?
for ever ?

I am guessing (and here my lack of GnuCash internals knowledge
 shines out) that:

the new Invoices created by either the scheduling or the duplication
processes come with blank Invoice numbers (because you are unlikely
to want to duplicate the number of an old invoice ?) and it is because of that
that they dont appear as Invoices to GnuCash, so one can't then access
them in a way that would allow one to edit them and rectify the fact that
they are blank ?

Kevin