upgrade problem on gentoo

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Mon May 14 23:23:46 EDT 2007

On Mon, May 14, 2007 10:59 pm, Elizabeth Dodd wrote:
> So to follow the experiment right through, I have removed the symlink and
> run
[...]
> emerge --oneshot -avx =gnome-base/gnome-vfs-2.16.3
[...]
> hopefully 'this is the correct method'

Yeah, that seems about right.  I'd bet that it wasn't gnucash that needed
to be rebuilt against the new dbus library, so much as libgnomeui.  But
this is exactly what revdep-rebuild is for: determining and re-building
things broken by library version changes during upgrades.

I'm not sure why '--oneshot' would have had an effect, all it really
controls is if the packages are added to the 'world' file.  That being
said, you really do want to do these revdep-rebuild-inspired emerges with
'--oneshot', as it's usually libraries that are affected, and you don't
want 'world' to contain libraries.

But, now we're pretty far into gentoo-user land; I'm glad gnucash is
working again for you.  Though I do recommend emerging =gnucash-2.0.5; it
handles the slib/g-wrap/guile versions much better, as well has having
some important bug fixes.

--
...jsled