How to manage small donations to a small non-profit

FamiliaFrazelle frazelle09 at yahoo.com
Fri May 25 21:19:24 EDT 2007

   Hi everyone!
   We have set up several accounts for a small non-profit.  People contribute
   to the General Fund in cash.  i'm at a loss as to how to show this...  We
   have an Asset account called Funds/General Fund but i don't know where to ?
   debit this amount so as to achieve the double entry.  i'm trying to wrap my
   head around this thing and i know that one account must be a credit, while
   another one is a debit, but which is which and what account am i missing?
   By the way, once the cash comes in, we then deposit it to a savings account
   (under sub-accounts, i.e. Building, Publicity, etc.)
   Have a great afternoon!  :)