Reconciliation: Incorrect Starting Balance

Maf. King maf at chilwell.net
Wed May 30 07:49:08 EDT 2007

On Wednesday 30 May 2007, Tom Purl wrote:

> >> Yes.  In the end, I'm $6.36 off.
> >
> > This would imply that you're missing a $6.36 transaction, probably it
> > got deleted or moved to a different account.
>
> If my correct reconciled amount is $1497.11 and I deleted a reconciled
> transaction for $6.36, wouldn't my reconciled amount be $1490.75?  Or am
> I incorrect?
>
> I'll check my bank statements and see if I accidentally deleted any 6.36
> transactions.

Hi Tom,

I always get confused about the differences you get in a reconcile dialogue,
and the whole credits & debits double entry stuff.... makes sense when I'm
_actually_doing it, but whenever I try to think about it on the list, without
a GC register in front of me I can never work it out...

Possibly you have added a reconciled transaction for $6.36, that came from
some other account?  You know, a bit of tidy-up here and move a transaction
there...?

HTH,
Maf.