recovery

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Thu Nov 1 15:12:15 EDT 2007

>Umm.. I understand exactly how gnucash stores it, but you miseed my
>point.  The person I was responding to was suggesting that numbers get
>stored as decimal, and I was asking THAT person how you would suggest
>that we store a decimal number that represents the number 1/3.

The person to whom you were responding was talking about storing
FINANCIAL (accounting) data, not numbers in general.

Forget for a moment that we are talking about a computerized accounting
function. Pretend doing it the old fashioned way, pen on ruled
accounting paper. That was in decimal units, no fractions. Yes of course
"fractions" could seem to come into it in the sense say there were three
partners, profits to be divided evenly. But the point is that the
transaction (moving the profit or loss to the equity accounts of the
three partners) would NOT be recorded as them all getting down to a
third of a cent! Instead some sort of rule would have been decided who
gets the odd cent.

Michael

PS: Using "reals" does NOT solve the problem of fractions. You still
have roundoff errors. Heck, I'm the sort of person who used to have to
calculate the right "fuzz" amount (maximum accumulated roundoff errors
in a calculation) so that compares could work.