How to handle expense checks that include per-diem

Bill Michal portabill at bak.rr.com
Fri Nov 2 11:49:43 EDT 2007

Hello,

I would like to run an idea past the experts.  I have expenses related to
travel for my employer (airfare, hotel, car rental, cell phone, .) plus I
receive a per-diem for each day I travel.  I created a new account called
Expenses:Work to record these specific expenses and a new account called
Income:Reimbursement to record expense checks.  My idea was that when I
received an expense check, record it in Income:Reimbursement then transfer
an amount equal to the current balance of expenses (or all of it if expense
total exceeds check).  Any balance in Income:Reimbursement is transferred to
Income:Checking Account.

Does that sound right?

Thanks,

Bill