How to handle expense checks that include per-diem

Andrew Sackville-West ajswest at mindspring.com
Tue Nov 6 19:58:07 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 04:38:00PM -0800, Bill Michal wrote:
> Thanks
>
> I've been thinking about this.  I can understand that the expenses are
> owed to me, but I still have a liability on my credit card for the
> costs.  When I enter a transaction in Assets:Reimbursable, do I put
> Liabilities:Credit Card on the line?
>
> Also, I will be transferring from Checking to Liabilities:Credit Card to
> pay off the card balance before I receive the reimbursement check.  Your
> comment seems to say that I deposit the reimbursement check into
> Assets:Reimbursable.

close. when you deposit the reimbursement check into your checking
account, the money for that check comes from
Assets:Reimbursement. That is the other side of the split from
checking account will be Assets:Reimb.  That wil complete the
circle. its a three part circle. Each of the three parts can be
completed at any time so long as all three get done.

$ from CC to asset:Reim.
$ from checking to CC
$ from asset:reim to checking.

the money owed to you is an asset, as is your checking account. The
repayment of that money owed to you (reimbursement) is simply
transferring that asset from one asset account to another: from a form
you can't really use to one you can use.

make sense?