Retirement Cash Balance Plan

David Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 6 20:31:08 EST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 6:33 PM, AC Marsh wrote:

> My company has an account htat they put a % of my income into each
> month. This account also earsn monthly interest credits (tied to a
> t-bill rate).
>
> How would I account  for deposits to this account and the interest
> credits? Also, I am fully vested when I have been there three years,
> but
> prior to that, if I leave I get nothing.
>
> Tbanks!

There are, of course, several ways. What I would do is set up
Income:Deferred Income:Company Contributions
Income:Deferred Income:Retirement Interest
Assets:Retirement:Unvested:Contributions
Assets:Retirement:Unvested:Interest
Assets:Retirement:Vested

That last one could be split up if you want to keep track of the total
interest accumulated and vested, but I'd probably dump it into one
account.

So the money comes in as deferred income of one kind or another, and
gets assigned to the appropriate unvested accounts. When it gets
vested, you just transfer it from one retirement sub account to another.

Dave
--
David Reiser
dbreiser at earthlink.net