Retreiving the 'ask' price for funds in Gnuash

Chris Brooker cjbrooker at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Nov 7 14:49:33 EST 2007

Hi,
I have been using Gnucash for almost a year know and it is great for
organising my finances.
I have several funds  that I track in Gnucash. Some of them are able to get
quotes online using the Finance::Quotes perl module.
However the price returned for this is always the 'mid' price. This is fine
for funds where the 'bid' price and the 'ask' price are the same but for
funds that have different 'bid' and 'ask' prices this is not good enough.
I need to know how much my funds are worth if I were to sell them so I need
to know the 'ask' price.
If I run gnc-fq-dump it will always show the same bid and ask prices for my
fund which I know has different prices.

E.g.
$ gnc-fq-dump -v yahoo MFMYDEA.L
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: MFMYDEA.L            <=== required
      date: ** missing **        <=== required
  currency: ** missing **        <=== required
      last: 194.90               <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price:                      <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

** This stock quote cannot be used by gnucash!!

All fields returned by Finance::Quote for stock MFMYDEA.L

stock           field  value
-----           -----  -----
MFMYDEA.L         ask:
MFMYDEA.L     avg_vol:
MFMYDEA.L         bid: 0
MFMYDEA.L         cap:
MFMYDEA.L       close:
MFMYDEA.L    currency:
MFMYDEA.L        date:
MFMYDEA.L   day_range: 0.00
MFMYDEA.L         div:
MFMYDEA.L    div_date:
MFMYDEA.L   div_yield:
MFMYDEA.L         eps:
MFMYDEA.L    errormsg: Stock lookup failed
MFMYDEA.L      ex_div:
MFMYDEA.L        last: 194.90
MFMYDEA.L        name: Merrill Lynch European Dynamic
MFMYDEA.L         net: 11/06/2007
MFMYDEA.L        open: 192.85
MFMYDEA.L    p_change: +2.05
MFMYDEA.L          pe: