"Downgrade" GnuCash version made "Root Account" - why?

Al Pacifico adpacifico at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Nov 10 10:49:33 EST 2007

I switched my Linux distro from Fedora Core 7 to Debian Etch (stable).

GnuCash version with Fedora was 2.2.1 and with Debian is 2.0.5, so it
represented a "downgrade."

Now when I open my file, all my previous top-level accounts are
children of "Root Account." I've been using GnuCash for years and I'm
finding this a tad annoying for entering transactions.

I thought about installing a backport of GnuCash 2.2.1 that I found at
http://debian.geole.info... I'm pretty security-conscious and this is
the kind of thing I almost never do, but I liked it even less when
apt-get upgrade gnucash informed me:

Building dependency tree... Done
  gnucash-docs gtk2-engines gtk2-engines-pixbuf libgnomeui-0 libgnomeui-common
  libgtk2.0-0 libgtk2.0-bin libgtk2.0-common librsvg2-2 librsvg2-common
10 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 18.4MB of archives.
After unpacking 2298kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

I responded "n", not wanting to break anything and being paranoid in
the first place..

I am considering switching to debian lenny (testing), but first wanted
to ask here if there was an easy way to make the former top-level
accounts top-level again and if the improvements between 2.0.5 and
2.2.1 are likely to change my (already nearly completely satisfied)
user experience much.

TIA
-al
--