Settling an account

Derrick Hudson dman at dman13.dyndns.org
Sun Nov 11 08:14:27 EST 2007

On Tue, Nov 06, 2007 at 10:55:32PM +0000, Karl Grant wrote:

| Secondly, how can I settle an account. I.e. a customer has paid the majority
| of an invoice, neglecting the cents and I want to consider this settled.

You need to credit the receivable and debit an appropriate expense
account.  This transaction is called an "adjusting entry".  The credit
to receivables will result in your books showing that customer owing
you nothing.  The debit to expenses is needed to show where that money
went, and to accurately show that amount as an expense (opposed to the
income you already recorded).

For example, suppose that customer's name is "J.Doe", and suppose you
have an account named "Expenses:Operating Expenses:Customer Goodwill
Allowances" to track the expense.  You will create a transaction like
this to eliminate the remaining debt on the customer's account:

    Account                                                      Debit Credit