Slow startup on OSX

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 12:56:06 EST 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 4:24 PM, David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> wrote:

> On Nov 11, 2007, at 5:09 PM, Adrian Simmons wrote:
> > Gnucash often taks a really long time to launch, by that I mean
> > several
> > minutes. The startup splash/message reports 'reading file' and today
> > 'writing file' for far longer than anything else.
> >
> > I do have a several years of transactions in my accounts file, is that
> > likely to be the issue, or perhaps a messed up report?
>
> Do you have reports coming up when you launch? Any reports that are
> open in your default state will have to be regenerated on launch. With
> several years of data, that could be slowing you down. You should get
> a chance to test that on the next version. Someone figured out how to
> streamline report generation significantly.
>
> gzip on the mac seems to work excruciatingly slowly -- that's probably
> what's slowing you down on writing the file. I've turned off
> compression of my data files because I hate waiting for the
> compression to work. Disk space is cheap. :-)

I'm running 2.2.1 in Ubuntu 7.10 on a 550Mhz Pentium system, and
somewhere after GnuCash 2.0.5, I noticed launch times increased
noticeably. I'm adding to this thread because I experienced slower
launch times, though my linux experience seems better than the OP's
experience under OS X. (Obviously reading/writing compressed files
could be improved in the library used by OS X.)

I just launched a 35k compressed data file (with an existing GnuCash
instance already loaded and running -- there seems to be no noticeable
advantage to having another instance running already). I have no
reports "loaded." The splash screen came up after about four seconds.
Messages about modules being loaded appeared at the bottom of the
splash. The module called "gnucash/business-gnome" was on screen the
longest -- it was up for a good 25 seconds. The final message
regarding loading the data file appeared for only a second or two.
Total time: about one minute 25 seconds.

My "primary" data file (where I keep my own finances) is 398k
compressed, and I just closed and relaunched it. It opened somewhat
faster on the second launch -- the gnucash/business-gnome module
loaded in about 20 seconds, and the data file itself took about seven
seconds to load. Total time about one minute 15 seconds.

I relaunched GnuCash with the 35k file again: Total time about one
minute 10 seconds. (About 15 seconds faster.)

I, too, would like GnuCash itself to load faster if possible, but in
linux it seems to be application modules contributing to most of the
delay.