Account setup recommendations for 401(k)/403(b)

Anthony Messina amessina at messinet.com
Fri Nov 16 11:48:25 EST 2007

I was wondering if any of you long-time gnucash users could give me some
advice on how to best set up accounts for employer-sponsored retirement
accounts like a 401(k) or a 403(b) where both me (and spouse) and our
respective employers contribute?  I'm considering the following scenarios:

**Scenario A:**
The cash payments from myself (or my spouse) and our employers go into the
respective "Assets:Retirement:403(b) Cash (Me)" or "Assets:Retirement:401(k)
Cash (Spouse)" accounts.

When fund/stock purchases are made, they would come out of the
respective "Assets:Retirement:403(b) Cash (Me)" or "Assets:Retirement:401(k)
Cash (Spouse)" accounts and into the proper fund/stock.

Assets -- Placeholder
-Retirement -- Placeholder
--403(b) Cash (Me)
--401(k) Cash (Spouse)

Investments -- Placeholder
-Retirement --Placeholder
--403(b) (Me) -- Placeholder
---Mutual Fund -- Placeholder
----Fund 1
----Fund 2
---Stocks -- Placeholder
----Stock 1
----Stock 2
--401(k) (Spouse) -- Placeholder
---Mutual Fund -- Placeholder
----Fund 1
----Fund 2
---Stocks -- Placeholder
----Stock 1
----Stock 2

**Scenario B:**
The cash payments from myself (or my spouse) and our employers go into the
respective "Investments:Retirement:403(b) (Me)"
or "Investments:Retirement:401(k) (Spouse)" accounts.

When fund/stock purchases are made, they would come out of the
respective "Investments:Retirement:403(b) (Me)"
or "Investments:Retirement:401(k) (Spouse)" accounts and into the proper
fund/stock.

Investments -- Placeholder
-Retirement --Placeholder
--403(b) (Me)
---Mutual Fund -- Placeholder
----Fund 1
----Fund 2
---Stocks -- Placeholder
----Stock 1
----Stock 2
--401(k) (Spouse)
---Mutual Fund -- Placeholder
----Fund 1
----Fund 2
---Stocks -- Placeholder
----Stock 1
----Stock 2

Currently, I am using Scenario B, simply because I was "getting to know"
gnucash.  However, I am thinking that Scenario A would be a better way to
organize this?

Thank you for any guidance you can give.

--
Anthony -  http://messinet.com - http://messinet.com/~amessina/gallery
8F89 5E72 8DF0 BCF0 10BE 9967 92DC 35DC B001 4A4E