Budgeting in gnucash (with line breaks this time)

Roz Wild rozwild at madasafish.com
Sun Nov 18 10:34:27 EST 2007

I am new to gnucash and I think it is an excellent way of tracking my
accounts and expenses. Congratulations to all the developers

I managed to discover its budget feature hidden away (I wasn't expecting it
to be under File --> New) but I'm a bit confused.

When I'm setting up the budget, there doesn't seem to be anything displayed
indicating the total of all the categories. Is there a way of showing this?
Otherwise I end up using a calculator to work out whether I've budgeted more
than I earn. And if I have, I need to alter a category amount and retotal.

When I run the budget report, I get two columns for each budget period -
budgeted and actual. Is there a way to show the difference between these
amounts i.e. indicating whether I am under or over budget, and by how much?

At the moment it seems like I need my own spreadsheet. Have I missed an
easier way to budget in gnucash?

Alternatively, is there a way to set up "envelope budgeting" in gnucash?

Thanks,

Roz