find - has credits or debits

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon Nov 26 08:36:09 EST 2007

Quoting Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash at numerixtechnology.de>:

> On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 17:32:52 -0500
> Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Tarlika Elisabeth Schmitz <gnucash at numerixtechnology.de>:
>>
>> > Hello,
>> >
>> > I want to search for credits to bank account A. But when I use
>> > "Value has credits greater than 0" I get the debits from, not the
>> > credits to the account.
>> >
>> > Why?
>>
>> Because you're confused with the definition of credits and debits.
>> A debit is TO and a credit is FROM.  Most people are confused about
>> this because banks send you statements from their point of view, and
>> what is a credit to them is a debit to you, and vice versa.  So when
>> they list credits to your account, when you see it it's really a
>> debit.
>
> Thank you for explaining.
>
> Is the idea of "Reverse balance accounts" to show credit accounts from
> the bank's point of view?

No, it's to show "Credit Accounts" as a positive balance instead of
a negative balance.  For example, a Credit Card (or other Liability)
would really be a negative balance, but generally you might want to
think of it as a positive balance (how much you've spent on the card).
So the "Reverse balance accounts" tells gnucash which account types
to 'reverse the balance'..