Backups, Calculator anomaly

Mike or Penny Novack stepbystepfarm at mtdata.com
Tue Nov 27 16:19:31 EST 2007

Derek Atkins wrote:

>Hi,
>
>4,294,967,287 looks amazingly close to 4,294,967,296, which is
>2^32.  In fact, it's 2^32 - 9.  I'd guess a buffer overrun somewhere.

Quite suggestive, since something like 9 would be correct for the number
of "rents" were the present value 10,000, the rate 6%, and the monthly
payments around 1140. I can do THAT calc more or less in my head. Is
this possibly a SIGN error?

I know I promised to join in the effort of looking into things like
this, but that was back when the time estimate for getting our house
back together was ..... well let's just say that it still isn't finished
and all the remaining work is scattered so we have very few rooms DONE.
No space to begin replacing books (all my computer books were in the
room that actually burned). But I have actually WRITTEN "loan
amortization table" programs.

So keep bothering me about this one. Hell, if somebody points out the
specific code for this function I could look at it anyway (I can READ
code in most any language even if not fluent enough in the language to
WRITE effectively). Debugging financial software is what they used to to
pay me the big bucks for.

Michael

--
There is no possibility of social justice on a dead planet except the equality of the grave.