Feature request: process multiple invoice with single payment

ASL4U asl4u at localnet.com
Fri Nov 30 11:12:54 EST 2007

Hi - thank you but -
I think I have the system you are suggesting already...
I have my income accout (always negative as the resource giving money to my invoices)
I have my accounts recievable (home of my invoices unpaid and paid)
I have an "undeposited payments" account - where the money I recieve in the form of checks goes - before I make a deposit into my checking account.
The Undeposited Payments account recieves - in theory - one check with splits for each invoice (at least thats how it works in Quicken Home and Business - but in GNUCash it recieves each paid invoice processed as an individual tranaction.)
and I have my checking account - which recieves a single deposit of multiple payments as splits out of the Undeposited Payments account.

What I'm faced with - is not the inbetween account issue - but because I write an invoice everytime I do a job and I regularly work different jobs for different person/agency (multiple agencies) and many with different pay rates and different pay due dates (yes - even from the same agency) in one day - I often recieve a check (which half of is itemized by job number and half that does NOT identify which invoices are included in this payment (different resource allocation))... and that check might have 20 or 30 invoices paid on it.
As a current practice - I check each invoice against the amount paid to me - (still trying to figure out how to do this in GNUCash but I know that reports - well designed can do wonderful things)
but the thought of having to Find each invoice individually - and process its payment - individually - 20 or 30 times - for each check I get... is just.... Whew! - wouldnt a simple "here's a payment" - and here's a list of the invoices due from that company - and click click click click.. Those invoices have been paid by That payment.

which is - what I think happens now - with Quicken Home & Business.

as a side - I checked in 22 invoices yesterday... and... its bearable -
tedious - but do-able - I just need to make sure I can keep track of where things are and how to find them to figure out whats being paid and what's not... and so far - not being able to SEE my stuff - is the hardest part of trusting GNUCash.

thanks for listening
Terri Hayes